By Barbara K. Gold
- Contributors signify a variety of confirmed names and more youthful students, all of whom are revered specialists of their fields
- Contains unique, by no means earlier than released essays, that are either available to a large viewers and provide a brand new method of the affection elegists and their work
- Includes 33 essays at the Roman elegists Catullus, Tibullus, Propertius, Sulpicia, and Ovid, in addition to their Greek and Roman predecessors and later writers who have been motivated through their work
- Recent years have noticeable an explosion of curiosity in Roman elegy from students who've used a number of severe ways to open up new avenues of understanding
Read or Download A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This publication presents a quick and obtainable advent to Greek tragedy for college students and basic readers alike. even if readers are learning Greek tradition, acting a Greek tragedy, or just drawn to examining a Greek play, this ebook can help them to appreciate and revel in this hard and worthwhile style.
Explores the connection among gender and id in early medieval Germanic societies.
The Classical culture: paintings, Literature, inspiration offers an authoritative, coherent and wide-ranging consultant to the afterlife of Greco-Roman antiquity in later Western cultures and a ground-breaking reinterpretation of enormous points of Western tradition as a complete from a classical standpoint. includes a designated blend of chronological variety, cultural scope, coherent argument, and unified research Written in a full of life, attractive, and stylish demeanour provides an cutting edge review of the afterlife of antiquity Crosses disciplinary limitations to make new experience of a wealthy number of fabric, hardly ever introduced jointly absolutely illustrated with a mixture of colour and black & white photos
Euripides' Bacchae is the magnum opus of the traditional world's hottest dramatist and the main smooth, might be postmodern, of Greek tragedies. Twentieth-century poets and playwrights have usually became their hand to Bacchae, leaving the play with a particularly wealthy and sundry translation historical past. It has additionally been subjected to a number of models of feedback and interpretation through the years, all mirrored in, influencing, and inspired via translation.
- Knowledge, Text and Practice in Ancient Technical Writing
- Reading Sin in the World: The Hamartigenia of Prudentius and the Vocation of the Responsible Reader
- Fantasmagories du Moyen Âge: Entre médiéval et moyen-âgeux (Senefiance) (French Edition)
- Chaucer and the Social Contest (Routledge Revivals)
Extra resources for A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Barbara K. Gold