By Susanna Braund,Josiah Osgood
- Provides unique and up to date tips at the texts and contexts of Persius and Juvenal
- Offers tremendous dialogue of the reception of either authors, reflecting probably the most leading edge paintings being performed in modern Classics
- Contains an intensive exploration of Persius' and Juvenal's afterlives
Read or Download A Companion to Persius and Juvenal (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This booklet offers a quick and available advent to Greek tragedy for college kids and normal readers alike. even if readers are learning Greek tradition, appearing a Greek tragedy, or just attracted to interpreting a Greek play, this e-book can help them to appreciate and revel in this demanding and lucrative style.
Explores the connection among gender and id in early medieval Germanic societies.
The Classical culture: paintings, Literature, suggestion offers an authoritative, coherent and wide-ranging advisor to the afterlife of Greco-Roman antiquity in later Western cultures and a ground-breaking reinterpretation of huge elements of Western tradition as a complete from a classical standpoint. contains a precise mix of chronological diversity, cultural scope, coherent argument, and unified research Written in a full of life, attractive, and chic demeanour offers an leading edge assessment of the afterlife of antiquity Crosses disciplinary barriers to make new experience of a wealthy number of fabric, infrequently introduced jointly totally illustrated with a mixture of colour and black & white photos
Euripides' Bacchae is the magnum opus of the traditional world's most well-liked dramatist and the main smooth, possibly postmodern, of Greek tragedies. Twentieth-century poets and playwrights have usually became their hand to Bacchae, leaving the play with an extremely wealthy and sundry translation historical past. It has additionally been subjected to a number of models of feedback and interpretation through the years, all mirrored in, influencing, and prompted by means of translation.
- Masculine Virtue in Early Modern Spain (New Hispanisms: Cultural and Literary Studies)
- Sodomy, Masculinity and Law in Medieval Literature: France and England, 1050–1230 (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Literature)
- Assembling the Lyric Self: Authorship from Troubadour Song to Italian Poetry Book (Medieval Cultures)
- Horace (Routledge Revivals)
Additional info for A Companion to Persius and Juvenal (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Persius and Juvenal (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Susanna Braund,Josiah Osgood